Swingman

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
It's easier/cheaper to have it not align. In other words,
less skilled labor can be used.

The subject "lip" has always apperared to be a "traditional" design element
of sorts to me. The question is whether its genesis is based on "skill" or
some other factor?

Many custom cabinetmakers attach the FF to the carcass with a groove.
Whether the top of the bottom FF rail is flush with the top of the floor of
the cabinet is just a matter of cutting either a rabbet or a groove in said
rail. The "skill" is the same to cut either with a power tool, and a lot
more skill to cut the groove which insures the "traditional" lip, by hand.

IOW, if there was indeed a "skill" factor involved in the days of yore, it
seems that the lip could have taken a tad more skill to produce.

I've rarely seen a face frame cabinet without this "lip" ... even the
Mexican 'cabinetmakers' around here who "build-in" monolithic units use it
when doing the traditional face frame cabinet.

In short, if you see a face frame cabinet with the subject lip, don't
automatically assume that it is somehow inferior and made with "less
skilled" labor.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04