Charlie Self

Mike W asks:

Im interested in the disadvantages of the stamped wings vs cast iron, 110 vs
220 voltage (1.5hp-2hp), ability to use add-ons like mitre sleds, dado
blades, etc. I just want to hear from some folks with saws like these tell
me that you can or can't do what all the lucky fellas with the big machines
do. Even if its bad news or news that says "Well you can do it, but its
tough", I Want to hear that so I know to go another year and save up for a
big boy... which leads to saving for another 5 years to build a shop to put
it in, etc... and surely SWMBO will come up with a 'better' use for the
funds by then.

I will be building small furniture and stuff... I dont plan to have a
business, but cabinet carcasses and the like are surely on the list.

Standard contractor's saws you list will do what you want just fine. Hybrid
saws MIGHT do a little better, and cabinet saws MAY make it easier, but I think
you'll find that most woodworkers here use contractor's saws.

I've built projects on Unisaws and other cabinet saws and on contractor's saws,
including the Ridgid TS3650 that is still in my shop, and find that the
difference is only evident when you're sawing a lot of 2X maple or oak or
beech. With the contractor's saw, you have to feed more slowly.

110 vs. 220: convert to 220 if you don't like the results with 110, but there's
no difference in power.

Most table saws today will work with standard miter sled guides.

Dado blades are fine with contractor's saws.

Go for cast iron wings whenever possible, because the extra mass helps dampen
vibration. Too, they hold their shape better under heavy use.

Good luck and enjoy.

Charlie Self
"A politician is an animal which can sit on a fence and yet keep both ears to
the ground." H. L. Mencken