willshak

On 1/6/2005 6:34 PM US(ET), Robert Barr took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

When switched

on, the bulb takes less than a second to light, and it is then about
80% of its full brightness. Within 10 seconds, it is at full
brightness. I was so satisfied with them that I bought another pack
of 6. I am replacing all incandescents as they burn out, or for those
that I leave on for extended periods of time.

I found a newer type by Sylvania that puts out a whiter light, rated
at 3500K versus the usual 3000K. They are identical in appearance to
the 13 watt spiral units. Here's a link:

http://ecom.mysylvania.com/sylvaniab...sapj2ee_*=4001

Not sure if that link will survive...

I've seen these compared side by side with identical Sylvania 3000K
CF's, and the difference is dramatic. The standard CF looks yellow
and horrible.

Sadly, the price is dramatic too -- about five bucks a copy. Once
that settles down, these will be the units to have.

The GEs are less than $2 apiece at Sam's. It was $11.something for 6. I
don't see the light output expressed in K terms on the package. It says
Light Output = 825 lumens. Energy used = 13 watt. Life = 8000 hrs.
I placed two desk lamps side by side. One with the CF bulb and the other
with a GE 60 watt incandescent Soft White bulb.
I understand that the 60 watt incandescent is about 840 lumens, but I
don't see a noticeable difference.

--
Bill