John Stumbles

T i m wrote:
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 17:20:26 -0000, "Dave Jones"
wrote:

In this particular circumstance, both sides of the combi argument would
probably agree that a combi is fine and you wouldn't need a power (pumped)
shower. If it's a long way off, you would just have to dump the pump at
the
time.

Would be better of fitting a normal shower (thermostatic preferably) with a
shower pump fitted, so when you get a combi, just disconnect the pump will
save having to fit another shower unit.

Ok . slightly confused here. By a 'normal shower' you mean a shower
that *could* run off a gravity fed system? This would be ~150 quids
worth of Mira or similar?

£150 will only get you a non-thermostatic Mira whereas you could get a
thermostatic bar mixer valve from Screwfix. They're surface mounted so
if it packs up after a few years you can just screw a new one in,
instead of being stuck with £100 for a replacement element for a Mira.

Then I could fit a pump to that if I (they) wanted a bit more 'ooomph'
but would still run from a sealed / combi type heater thing without
the pump if they went that way?

Yup. Unless you have a good head (a floor or more) between tank in the
attic and shower head I'd go for a pump (until they get a combi). You
can always resell it on eBay (or buy one there in the first place).

If we went for a 'Power Shower' we would *have* to have it pumped or
it (probably) wouldn't deliver?

A separate valve and pump will give you a 'Power Shower', though the
term is also used for all-in-one boxes containing a pump + mixer valve
(thermostatic or otherwise). These look superficially like
electrically-heated showers i.e. a box about 300 * 200 with
knobs/switches on and a hose coming out the bottom.