William R. Walsh

Hi!

Great that it works. I would caution that when repairing CD players,

often
one does almost anything and they seem to be fixed, only to have the

problem
recur, sometimes weeks or months later.

Absolutely! But at least what it confirms is that there is some bad
connection or a crack in the ribbon cable, not likely a component that
is bad.

Makes me feel good to have saved it from the garbage, at least for the
moment. :-)

I have played at least 20 CDs start to finish in the thing now and have left
it running overnight on an 80 minute disc. The power went out last night,
but this morning the player had the track list and total runtime on its
display. I've "played the drums" on the top and sides, and twiddled all the
around inside while it was playing. No change, although the pounding did
make it skip, but that's to be expected.

I'd like to think that it's fixed, but I will keep an eye on it. Why it ever
broke I guess I will probably never know. Apart from the fact that it was
soaking wet when I got it home, it doesn't look to have ever had anyone
twiddling around inside or as though it has been abused.

http://greyghost.dyndns.org/av/DSC02080.JPG (150+ KB, doesn't "do it
justice"...but if you're curious...)

William