Dan Valleskey

I guess I could email you a few photos of what I have done. I don't
keep a web page anymore.

I can address this intelligently. I use a contractors saw, I have
used my USA made Delta for about 6 or 7 years. I also am lucky to use
Unisaws at American Sycamore Woodworkers Retreat. I have also used
the Dewalt once or twice. So I have a pretty good basis for
comparison.

(BTW, this topic has about been beat to death, you might look at
archives.)

Your primary question seems to be, what kind (quality) of work can be
done on a contractors saw. I can get just as smooth a cut on my
contractors saw as I get on the Unisaws, other things being equal. It
would be hard to get a direct comparision, I'd have to take my Freud
blade out to ASWR to see any differences. But I think that would be a
waste of time. I get silky smooth cuts on my saw now. It would be
hard to quantify any differences in these saws.

And smooth cuts translate to good work.

A cabinet saw has less vibration, in theory, because of the incresed
mass of the trunnion and base. So there may be some small improvement
in quality of cut. But I've never noticed it.

I do not feel limited when it comes to power. A cabinet saw has twice
the HP of my saw, I'm sure you know this if you have been doing your
homework. But for the few times when I have had to rip tough woods
thicker than 2 inches, it doesn't bother me to slow down. I can still
get the job done on my less powerful saw. Just takes a few seconds
longer.

I use a Unifence, many Unisaws use a unifence. I could just as well
have a Beismeyer, as do many Unisaws. Not much to compare there. My
projects are not limited by my fence. If you want my opinion, go with
the Beis. I wish I had, but I don't lose sleep over it.

I can assure you, my quality of work, as regards the saw used, would
not improve a bit with a Unisaw or PM66. My quality of life might
improve slightly! My wallet might be worse off! My marriage might be
worse off (wife bought my Contractors saw for me, I have to keep it
forever now, I think.)

To address some other unstated questions you kinda raise-

A cabinet saw takes up less room than a contractors saw. Also true of
the Dewalt and the new Jet. You said you have a small shop at this
time. The Unisaw is physically smaller. Easy choice there, I guess.

A cabinet saw provides for dust collection. Almost requires it, in
fact. I don't give a rats a** about a pile of sawdust behind my saw.
But I am in the minority. And I am in a garage. It was different
when I was in the basement. I think the Dewalt and Jet also have
limited dust collection ability, compared to a cabinet saw.

It is easier to dial in, or adjust, a cabinet saw. You won't have to
do this often, maybe never, but it may matter to you.

The contractors saw will be a hell of a lot easier to get down a stair
way. Take it down in pieces, assemble when you are down the steps.
Than, don't move. A cabinet saw- I don't know how many people I would
have needed to get a heavy saw down the steps at my old house. There
would have been ropes involved. Maybe a dolly, I dunno.

Flip side of that coin- a cabinet saw weighs more, which contributes
to that smooth thing I refered to earlier.

A Contrators saw will run on 120V if you have to, most cabinet saws
need 220V.

If you grow bored with woodworking (hey, it happens) you will get a
larger percentage of your purchase price back when you sell a cabinet
saw. As long as it isn't green. Contraotors saws hold value better
than a bench top saw, but not as well as cabinet saws. Too soon to
know what will happen with the new generation saws, in that respect.

I'd love a PM66 someday, but given my economic situation (I am Mr.
Mom, I do not earn money, and won't for 3 more years) it will be a
very long time coming. (Than there is that 'wife present' thing) I
am not missing out on much with my contractors saw. I have done some
very nice work with it. I am proud of much of the work I have done on
it, I am proud to own the saw, and happy with it.

Hope that helps. Man, am I wordy tonight.

-Dan V.

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 03:31:02 GMT, "Mike W."
wrote:

Im just curious to see people's projects (on their websites) who have a
contractor style saw. I keep seeing pictures of these Norm like sites and
get discouraged to even try to get a new tool. Seems like everyone I see
has one of these stationary cabinet saws. I'm going to be in the basement
for a while with a small shop and would like to verify that one can 'get by'
at worst with a nice contractor style saw. Or do I have to step up to one
of the 'woodworkers' saws like the dewalt DW746?

Post a link to your site if you have one with pics of projects done with
your contractor saw... and tell me what kind of saw it is if its not posted.

Thanks a ton.