Andy Dingley

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 20:19:28 -0700, "Jeff and Jennifer Cook"
wrote:

I would like to stain some oak in my new house so it has that antique oak
look.

Which one ? Reddish brown or near black ?

Ammonia fuming is my favourite colouring technique for oak. You need
to do it with ammonia vapour for the "Craftsman" brown. Using it as a
painted-on liquid is easy, but it's a quick route to the darkest of
Jacobean blacks. If you're working with already installed trim
materials, this might be a problem. You may find a dye/stain technique
is better for you, just because of this access issue.

I believe Jeff Jewitt's website has some good advice for dyes.

--
Smert' spamionam