Mike W.

Sorry... showing my WW ignorance...

Im thinking of the somewhat portable models like the grizzly G0444Z or the
Ridgid TS3650 or any others like that. Not the wheeled jobsite saws. In
the price range of $450-$700 unless the answer is a must to go up to the
DeWalt hybrid style DW746.

Im interested in the disadvantages of the stamped wings vs cast iron, 110 vs
220 voltage (1.5hp-2hp), ability to use add-ons like mitre sleds, dado
blades, etc. I just want to hear from some folks with saws like these tell
me that you can or can't do what all the lucky fellas with the big machines
do. Even if its bad news or news that says "Well you can do it, but its
tough", I Want to hear that so I know to go another year and save up for a
big boy... which leads to saving for another 5 years to build a shop to put
it in, etc... and surely SWMBO will come up with a 'better' use for the
funds by then.

I will be building small furniture and stuff... I dont plan to have a
business, but cabinet carcasses and the like are surely on the list.

Thanks.

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
Mike W. wrote:
I'm going to be in the basement
for a while with a small shop and would like to verify that one can 'get
by' at worst with a nice contractor style saw. Or do I have to step up
to one of the 'woodworkers' saws like the dewalt DW746?

Hmm... I think you might want to clarify what you mean by "contractors"
saw. By convention, it means a saw with arbor attached to the top and the
motor hanging out the back. Now there can be some quite hefty (300 lb+)
contractor saws with some serious power. And their accuracy is excellent.
I get the feeling you are referring to the small, "portable" saws
typically used on jobsites as a contractors saw.

In either case, you have to mention what kind of projects you are doing;
for example, handling a lot of sheet goods for larger carcasses is a heck
of a lot different then building chairs.

And on too of that, there are a whole bunch of people who do beautiful
work with *no* table saw.

PK