Barry N. Turner

Maybe not, but probably better than no shower at all. The only time I had
had a problem with a wood allergy was back in the summer with the same wood.
I was wearing a short sleeve T-shirt, hot and sweaty with shaving clinging
to both arms for several hours. But I only got a mild rash that quickly
cleared with some 5% cortisone cream.

With poison ivy, I hear it takes a "sensitizing exposure" to set your body
up for some real fun the next time you come into contact. Apparently with
you, it took several "sensitizing exposures". The stuff doesn't bother me
either.......but I try to stay away from it. I figure sooner or later I'll
get hold of a turning blank that had the stuff all over it and I'll get a
dose and a half.

Barry

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. net...
Barry:

Probably a hot shower is not the best idea either. A cool shower may be

what is called for.

As a kid I was not allergic to poison ivy -- I could roll in it and never

feel a thing.
About 15 years ago I pulled p/i vines off a tree on a very hot and sweaty

type of day and got
a major case. I have no desire to find out if I would get a rash now,

though -- an
unanswered question.

I believe that Ivy Block applied to your skin before turning woods to

which you are mildly
allergic would be a good idea. But silky oak just isn't worth messing

with, I think.

Bill

In article ,

says...
I had a minor rash on my arms a few weeks ago after turning some

Macassar
Ebony. A couple of applications of 5% cortisone cream took care of it.

cleaned up a bit in my shop Saturday, which included emptying my shop

vac
(which still contained some of the dust and shavings). Well, guess

what?
My rash is back. I was only out there a few minutes, was wearing a

short
sleeve T-shirt. I had already had a shower that morning and didn't

bother
to take another. I really didn't think I got that much dust on my arms.

think skipping the shower may have been my undoing.

Barry

"rick pixley" wrote in message
. ..
Two members of our club in south florida have had extreme reactions to

silky
oak,,One,the most recent,developed allergies to all wood dust and had

give up woodturning totally.The other,a close friend of mine, died as

direct result from exposure to this dust.I wouldn't chance it..Rick
"Copernicus Skygazer" wrote in message
Greetings from a novice bowl turner,

I recently came into a lucky find. A friend wanted to cut down three
large trees in her front yard. I took a few logs to try out, until I
identified the wood. Silky oak (Grevilla robusta), a relative of
LACEWOOD!

Apparently these Australian trees are grown in Aridzona due to their
drought resistance, but either way, I grabbed them all.

I have since sealed the ends (either with the waxy anchor seal or

thick
coating of outside latex paint), but not removed the bark yet. I've
gotten a variety of advice, including leave the bark on and store it

in
my garage (as the summer heat will probably be a bad idea).

Also, there is some concern due to the phenolic compounds found in

the
wood.

Any advice on how to properly store this, best way to work it, and

will
the LDD technique work with it etc?

Thanks,
Phil