George E. Cawthon

R.H. wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

In article ,
R.H. wrote:

Just posted a few more this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

236) Some sort of tool for pressing a pin out or in? Perhaps for
roller drive chains?

Correct, it's for bike chains, I'm not familiar with roller drive chains.

237) A set of Starrett compound leverage end cutter pliers (Cutnippers).
Except that the replaceable blades don't look right. I suspect
that this has been modified to act as a crimper. These are
normally avaialbe with either tool steel blades or carbide
blades, and are normally used for cutting things like (hardened
spring) music wire.

Yes, someone from Starrett also suggested that they might have been
modified.

There are two sizes of these, and mine are the smaller ones (No
1-5-1/2"). This marking is right where the "S-Y" marking is on
your example.

It's hard to read, but for the record mine says "S-7".

Note that there is an adjustable stop screw in the center of the
spring (from the left-hand handle a shown), to adjust so the
blades *almost* but not quite touch after re-sharpening. (The
instruction slip packed with them suggests 0.001" clearance.)

But these have no edges, which is why I suggest that they have
been modified to serve as some form of crimper.

O.K. I've just gone on down to the next image, and the end
shape supports my feeling. Note also, that the screw on the jaw
to the right is totally non-standard, while the one on the left
may well be original.

I hadn't noticed the stop screw, thanks for the info.

238) K-ration can opener.

Correct.

239) Some form of lens hood? I can't see the small end, to tell
whether it is open, and threads into a lens. If so, the slots
may allow the large end to be stored reversed on a lens body.

The bottom of this one isn't open, it's not a lens hood.

240) Pliers to expand the inside of something -- perhaps flexible
tubing prior to slipping onto a fitting?

Yes, it's for expanding something, but not for tubing.

241) Jeweler's bench block. I've never known what function the
slots along the near edge serve, but I suspect for holding a
gear for filing or other work?

Correct.

A bicycle chain is a roller chain.