Searcher

I have an old one that they will no longer fill as well, Let me know how to
make this little forge if you don't mind. I think I'm getting cabin fever
already. It's time for a project!!.

Searcher1

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I successfully devalved a little propane tank today, the kind they don't
want you to use any more. I bled it off for a couple of days, with the
tank set at the top of a largish sloped driveway so the gas would run down
the hill and diffuse. When it finished hissing I turned it upside down
with
the valve open for a few hours. Then I took it into the shop and plumbed
an
air hose to it and pressurized it to 120psi and vented it, then repeated
the air venting twice. I tried to get the valve to admit water but it
plain
didn't work. I cobbled up a chain clamp setup like Ted Edward's, heated
the
threaded area with a handheld propane torch until the paint barely started
to smoke, and turned the valve out easily with a large crescent wrench.

It was a lot easier than I'd thought it would be based on all the horror
stories. I filled it with hot water and a little dishwashing detergent
for a first cut at de-stinking it (I don't much like the garlicky smell
of methyl mercaptan). If anyone has any bright ideas as to how best to
get the stink out of the tank I'd like to know about it.

I'm going to make a little forge.

Grant Erwin