Bubba

On 6 Jan 2005 08:38:06 -0800, "cjra" wrote:

We're restoring/renovating a c.1890s house in an historic district in
San Antonio Texas.

We're just starting to look at heating and cooling systems (it has
neither, tho does have gas lines which were used for wall heaters).
I've called a few places who will come out to give us estimates, but we
have no idea where to really start with what *type* of systems are
available. Google searches yield 1000s of sites, but I thought I'd ask
here for some advice.

Any particularly good websites which describe systems and compare?
We'd like to get the most energy effecient systems possible (1600 SF
house on pier and beam foundation). Suggestions for the best?

We're doing *everything* to this house: repairing foundation and roof,
re-wiring, re-plumbing, installing insulation, gutting the entire
interior....etc. So if you have any suggestions on other aspects for
such a house, all are welcome!

Thanks!

If you are looking for the most efficient system look at a Geothermal
system. Climatemaster and Florida Heatpump are two. They arent real
cheap to install but you said you wanted efficient and didnt give a
whole lot of other info. You will need room to add the regular
ductwork though.
If you dont have the room, a high velocity system cuts down on the
amount of ducting you need but if you look at the match-ups of
equipment, that system kills your efficiency and actual BTU's.
Your best bet would be to go into detail with the HVAC companies that
come out.
Good Luck
Bubba