Camilo

"Erin" wrote in message

I'm looking to add light to a room.

It will cost a bit to open up the wall to reframe it for windows.

Does anyone sell windows that I can just put inbetween the studs with a
short section of 2x4 above and below to frame it in?

The studs are 14" on center.

I know they'd be small, but if I put a lot of them in, it seems like the
end result would be fine.

Thanks,

Erin,

As for the expense and hassle of opening up and framing a conventional
window (e.g. removing a stud or two and building a weight bearing header,
etc.). I believe you'll find there's not a huge difference between what you
think is the easier project to put a window between existing studs vs. the
very common technique used to remove studs and place a weight bearing header
in an existing wall. A competent remodel carpenter won't see a lot of
difference in the two projects and you might really be surprised at how
cheap the labor portion of the project is. They do it all the time and do
it pretty darn quickly, efficiently and with little or no "collateral
damage". An incompetent DIY carpenter (such as myself!) would take longer
and more hassle than a pro, but again, not an awful lot longer than your
idea with some pre-planning and preparation In my opinion, well worth the
effort to get exactly the kind of window you like.

You need to add up all of the cost and hassle factors for your idea vs
larger opening w/ conventional header.

*Single, larger hole vs. multiple smaller holes

*Able to use a conventional, readily available window of exactly any width
and height you want (or better yet, a sale-priced closeout or surplus stock
window), vs. multiple smaller, possibly harder to get windows, likely to
have less options for dimensions and/or quality, possibly more expensive
than the conventional larger window when added up.

I don't know the answer but I encourage you to think about if you might be
seeking a false economy?

By the way, I believe a custom window shop could make you anything you
want - I'd try to find one and ask them about the narrow windows.

As for the stud spacing... I'm not saying it's impossible, but VERY unlikely
the studs are 14 inches on center. Standard stud spacing in the US is
either 16 or 24 inches OC. Maybe you're measuring the clear space between
the studs? 16 OC would yield approximately 14 1/2 inches clear space.
Another potential cause for confusion is if you're measuring stud spacing in
an area of the wall where it might in fact be irregular. Studs can be
irregularly spaced near corners, windows and doors. If you're using a stud
finder to determine stud spacing, some internal structures could mess also
that up. such as added blocking to accomodate fixtures or outlets, etc. etc.
Point being, unless there is something very odd about your house, the studs
are NOT 14 OC. and you should check that out very carefully.

If your studs are indeed irregular (14 OC), to me that's another point
towards building a conventional window opening.

Good luck

Cam

Cam