On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:00:39 -0500, "William Deans"
wrote:

Greetings,

What is the proper way to protect the NM wires running perpendicular to the
rafters if I cannot drill holes?

Thanks,
William

If you can't maintain 1-1/4" between the outside edge of the wood and
the cable, nail guards(1/16" steel) must be installed, is what I
recall.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:22:25 -0500, "William Deans"
wrote:

Greetings,

What are the requirements for protecting NM 12 AWG wire in an attic run
along the ceiling? The attic has a walk-up stairwell, finished floor and
walls, but exposed rafters. The rafters start at about 4 feet high.

What are the requirements for outlets? How high? GFCI?

I have looked in the NEC but I do not want to misinterpret anything so I

am
hoping to get some clarification in this case. I understand that in the

end
I must do whatever the local code office wants but first I wanted to
understand what the NEC actually calls for.

Thank you for your time and energy,

William

Since you have a finished floor and walls, treat it as you would
living space. All wires shall be protected and all outlets and
switches shall have cover plates.

later,

tom @ www.ChopURL.com