Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" writes:

"Adam" wrote in message
ink.net...
| A friend of mine picked up a surplus Corning model PC-620 (product info:
| http://tinyurl.com/4xmmy) laboratory hotplate/stirrer for a couple
| bucks. It turns out that the stirrer works but it doesn't get hot. I
| took the unit apart but didn't see anything glaringly obvious wrong with
| it. The element shows 14.7 ohms but I don't know what else to look at
| so I figured that even it's a long shot I'd ask here hoping for a
| service manual or someone that has some experience with these units.
|
| You might wonder why I am "wasting" my time on a hot plate. Well, these
| things aren't exactly cheap at nearly US$500. Hotplates capable of a
| very consistent/stable 1000 deg F (550 deg C) don't come cheap.

In general terms, are you able to safely measure the voltage across the
heater while it is running?

Check for power to the heater. If thta's not present, you'll have to trace
back to the thermostat or controller (depending on the sophistication).
There may also be a thermal fuse in series with the heater that is open.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.