I stuggled through what Rockler calls a plan about 5 years ago with
the arrow shaped slats, all 72 of them. DIL request a pullout tray
under the crib with access when side was locked in up location. Handy
for space limited location as it doesn't add to total footprint for
additional storage.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 17:22:10 GMT, Richard Boggs
ve wrote:

" wrote in
roups.com:

Just out of curiosity, what crib are you making? I'm getting ready to
start the Woodsmith Heirloom Crib and it has 46 slats total, and like a
hundred filler blocks.

I'm using Rockler's transitional crib plan, modified to suit SWMBO's
desires. The front & side are still slatted (but now rectangular slats, not
those arrowy ones), but the back is going to go a bit higher w/ frame &
panel beadboarded look (2 panels).

If I never look at another slat again, I'll be happy... and I have a
distinct feeling I'll be saying the same thing about the mortises for the
slats in another week. For looks & durability, I'm tenoning all 35 (made
40, figured good idea to have a few extra) slats to go into the rails...
and then I'm rounding over the 4 corners, sanding them once-over to make
'em even smoother... and then drill/chiselling out the 70 mortises to take
them.

Maybe one day when she's older my daughter will realize how much went into
this for her... I complain, but it's a loving complaint