Hello World

Will one of those $10 multi-meter work? I just put the red plug
in the hot hole, and white one on the ground hole or neutral hole
of the receptable. They all measure 120V. Is this the right way?

Art wrote:
If you are using one of those cheap 3 LED testers to test your ground, you
should be aware that it cannot test the quality of the ground and the
grounds may not be adequate.
I don't know the proper way to test the ground.... hopefully someone else
will.

"TrueWest" wrote in message
news
Hi All,
I'm wondering if someone can help me with this. All the outlets in my
house are two prong plugs fed by armored cable. The cable serves as
the ground wire. I've replaced a few of them with grounded (3 prong)
outlets and when I've tested the ground it's been fine. I am
replacing a few upstairs and the tester reads "no ground". They are
both on the same circuit. There are a couple of more outlets upstream
(toward the source).

My questions a
1) Is it possible to ground these outlets? if so, how?
2) How can I test the ground on the upstream outlets without replacing
with a three prong outlet? (it seems all testers are three prong)

Thank you in advance for any advice.