Franck Franck is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Clark
I have a problem with my central heating boiler, a Baxi WM 38/3 RS. After
the burners have been lit for 20 minutes they turn off and the pilot light
is out. I can immediately re-light the pilot but if I start the boiler
again, the pilot goes out and the burners do not start. If I light the pilot
and leave it for 10-15 minutes, the burners will fire up again but only for
the 20 minute period.
I have a similar problem, but one that follows a strange series of event before xmas:

1) begining of december, Heating goes down. I investigate and discover an apparently faulty motor in my Y valve. While looking at the valve, I notice that the controlling circuit looks like it has burnt at some point in its life... I replace the motor, test the circuit, which still seems to work, but I can't fire the boiler with the room thermostat. I look at the thermostat to find a short in the live wire. The thermostat is too old to see if that short has caused the circuit to arc, but replacing the thermostat fixes the fault.

2) Everything work fine for 2 weeks, until I go away for xmas. I come back to find the circuit breaker for the CH circuit down! I stupidly just try to switch it on again (it was after all midnight after a 7 hour journey!) and it trips again, with a big falsh (that woke me up!). In the morning, I open the Y-valve control box again, look at the controlling circuit, clean it up a bit, check the connections, put everything back on, and switch the circuit back on. Surprise, that seems to work...

3) A day later, boiler has been running continuously and all I have are lukewarm radiators and water :-( The pipes coming from my boiler are not very warm either. I borrow an electric radiator and put my room thermostat to the minimum, so that whatever little heat I get goes to the water circuit.

4) Boilers goes down overnight... I start it again.

5) Room is getting cold, I put the thermost to max again: boiler goes down! I start it again, but it will only work in the water position... I leave the thermostat to the minimum position.

6) Boilers goes down overnight... I switch the pilot light back on, but any attempt to draw heat for the water switches everything off!

So here the question: am I being very unlucky, or is there a possibility for one problem to cause the other ones?
I will have a go at changing the thermocouple, but I can't see how this is linked to the other problems. I have talked to a CH engineer to replace the Y valve with a new one (with removable head), but I don't see how that would fix the boiler problem...

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

PS: the boiler is a Baxi WM 38/3 RS, the Y-valve a landis & staefa MAV-322