Richard Boggs

" wrote in
oups.com:

Just out of curiosity, what crib are you making? I'm getting ready to
start the Woodsmith Heirloom Crib and it has 46 slats total, and like a
hundred filler blocks.

I'm using Rockler's transitional crib plan, modified to suit SWMBO's
desires. The front & side are still slatted (but now rectangular slats, not
those arrowy ones), but the back is going to go a bit higher w/ frame &
panel beadboarded look (2 panels).

If I never look at another slat again, I'll be happy... and I have a
distinct feeling I'll be saying the same thing about the mortises for the
slats in another week. For looks & durability, I'm tenoning all 35 (made
40, figured good idea to have a few extra) slats to go into the rails...
and then I'm rounding over the 4 corners, sanding them once-over to make
'em even smoother... and then drill/chiselling out the 70 mortises to take
them.

Maybe one day when she's older my daughter will realize how much went into
this for her... I complain, but it's a loving complaint