J. Mark Wolf J. Mark Wolf is offline
Junior Member

Location: Pinckney, Michigan

[color=blue][i]

After many weeks of scouring the universe, I have found 3 lathes that
are available for the taking.

Update:

Thanks for all the great input everybody.

I've decided to go with the Logan. Turns out it is a Logan 200. I looked it over as well as I know how, which is nill, but found the bed to be in good shape, no knicks or dings, head, tailstock and carriage all very smooth and snug, with the exception that the carriage handwheel is sloppy, which someone on this forum suggested might be the case. One of the two flat belts is a little ragged, but that's OK. The seller ran it for me, and once I heard it's little "heartbeat" I just had to have it!

I have had a great deal of difficulty finding a small lathe that is affordable. There have been a few candidates on Ebay, but unless you live close enough to look at it, you have to buy sight unseen, then pay shipping or drive many many hours round-trip to pick it up yourself. Even then, they have have all gone for well over a thousand dollars!

I'm sure, with a little attention this lathe will outlast me!