Dave Hinz

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:04:43 GMT, wrote:
On 5 Jan 2005 22:11:18 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Are you claiming that his use of mp3s of media he owns is somehow
against the law in the US?

I'm stating general principles. Copyright law is different from
country to country. (Fact)

Yes.

Copyright law is generally saner in Canada
(opinion.) As to whether possessing an MP3 copy of a song for which
you own a copy of the media is a violation of copyright law -- Darned
if I know. I've never encountered a case on that point.

Falls under "fair use" even by RIAA's interpretation. It's even on
a FAQ on their site. I can cite it if you'd like, but I'd have to go
find it.

Can you back that up with anything at
all aside from insults of the people who do in fact deserve insults,
but maybe not for this particular case?

I gave up citing the facts in this case when it became obvious was
obvious he was ignoring them in favor of the products of his own
imagination.

Fair enough. But when RIAA themselves acknowledge that having mp3s
of something you own is fine, they should at least be given _some_
....well, 'credit' is to kind of a term, but let's keep the bashing
to actual problems rather than imagined, provably wrong statements.
Dilution of point and all that.