On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:47:56 -0500, TrueWest
wrote:

Hi All,
I'm wondering if someone can help me with this. All the outlets in my
house are two prong plugs fed by armored cable. The cable serves as
the ground wire. I've replaced a few of them with grounded (3 prong)
outlets and when I've tested the ground it's been fine. I am
replacing a few upstairs and the tester reads "no ground". They are
both on the same circuit. There are a couple of more outlets upstream
(toward the source).

My questions a
1) Is it possible to ground these outlets? if so, how?

If the upstaris are armored as well, then check for a poor contact in
your ground. Your tester might claim no ground, but you might have a
poor one, and you need to search it out and correct it.

2) How can I test the ground on the upstream outlets without replacing
with a three prong outlet? (it seems all testers are three prong)

Good question, I would check with a multimeter. Check your voltage
between the ungrounded conductor(the hot) and the box/yoke(if it's in
good contact with the box).

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Now remember, only qualified personnel should perform any electrical
maintenance.

later,

tom @ www.URLBee.com