Toby Sleigh

Default Kitchen Refit - Moving Aga

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:21:35 -0000, "Colin"
wrote:

Hi,

Not quite DIY, but as a direct side-effect...

Due to an imminent kitchen refit, I was contemplating moving an oil-fired
Aga 1 foot to the left. It is currently on a small concrete plinth and

the
flue goes directly from the top of the stove into the chimney breast.

Has anyone ever experienced moving one? I guess that they are quite

heavy.

Should I get a professional in? If so, any idea how much it would cost?

How
would I locate someone who could do it?

Colin

You should most certainly get a professional in to do this.

Contact your local AGA dealer for help.

We had exactly this issue when ours was installed - the installer
built it 1cm too far one way on the plinth despite being told and a
line being marked.

They had to remove the top and about half of the contents before three
primates were able to move it. At that point it is still over
200kg.

I would not trust anybody who says they can move it without some
degree of disassembly - the risk is way too high.

You would need to build an extension to the plinth that is absolutely
dead level with the existing and then have a way to cut out the
exposed piece that will appear on the right should you need to do so.

.andy

I've moved mine about 1cm sideways. Put a good quality strap round the base
plate, i.e. as low as possible, then use a solid length of timber as lever
to pull the strap.
That's why I am sure that a longer move is possible with care.
Toby