Grant Erwin

It could be your hydraulic pump is cavitating. Google. If your machine
was made by a US company you might call them up and ask them if a rebuild
kit is available.

I was afraid that had happened to me on my ironworker. But then I tore
it apart and cleaned the tank meticulously and refilled it with new fluid
and now it's much quieter.

Maybe that would help you.

GWE

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Hi,
I'm a farm owner. I recently built a 20-ton hydraulic press for pushing
bushings and bearings, and for straightening bent shafting. It works
fine -- two-hand operation, a motor spool control so I can "nudge" work, and
a two-stage pump to give good ram speed with a high end pressure.

But the NOISE! It darned near drives me out of the shop!

I've bunkered the pump/tank affair with concrete blocks and earth, and with
a 2" thick drywall cover. That vastly reduced the noise coming directly
from the pump.
But the high pressure line (about 8' long), and even the press frame itself,
just "rings" LOUD at the gearotor's frequency.

I guess I'm sensitive to that sound. But if I spend a couple of hours
re-bushing an entire machine, I'm worn out from the sound.

I don't like wearing earplugs or muffs... they prevent me from hearing other
important sounds in my work environment; so I'd like to eliminate the noise
source.

My background is electronics, not hydraulics. I envision something like a
"low pass filter" (r/c network) eliminating the "ripple".

Would I be correct in assuming that an air accumulator near the pump would
eliminate this racket? Maybe that, and an oriface or flow control valve
either upwind or downwind of the accumulator? I don't want to spend the
money if it won't help.

If that's not the solution, or if there's more to it than that, I'd sure
appreciate some help.

LLoyd