The Natural Philosopher

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 19:46:44 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

I'd say a structural engineer would be first port of call - pay for a
full structural survey. A couple of hundred probably and worth every penny.

FMR No!

Opening the Yellow Pages and picking out any old structural engineer
is just asking for a complete cock-up with a timber frame, let alone
an old one. It'd be like asking EDS to build a big IT project - sure,
they do a job that covers the same title, but they've never actually
seen such a thing done right before.

Talk to a local big framing shop and ask for recommendations, or web
search down your own. But there are very few structural engineers with
timber frame experience, and you need it.

And they're all dead easy to fix anyway. There's a reason why places
like Avoncroft can afford to pull down derelict framed building and
re-erect it in a museum - they really are very simple to perform
"huge" repairs on, compared to more modern building methods.

Simple does not mean cheap however. In the final analysis I have known
someone completely dismantle, re foundtaon and re-erect (repaired)
timbers into a cottage, but it took him 5 years to do it.

Its a labour of lovce, not a commercial proposition.

One assumes also that the engineers have some knowledge of timber
structures. Round here most do, because we have a lot of them.

I accept that silly london engineers may not.

What you need is someone who can understand where the main structiral
elements are, and identfy if they are in serious danger of collapse.

Sometimes its noi more than 'oh dear, you need a steel cable between
there and there, wind it up and pull the ting back into shape, puts sme
steel brackets in, and make good the cracks' Or even 'well its moved,
but so what? Its all in sound shape.
Or ot mnay be 'blimey, all the sole plates have gone and judging by that
bit, half the uprights as well. hats mate is going to costyer'

THAT, I suggest is what the OP needs to know. Whether to tackle it at
all, or simply auction it off, and if so what sort of budget is going to
be required.

IME is down to wehther its 'cosmetic' 'quick fixable' or 'take it (half)
to pieces, prop, and repair'

If the latter, expect to spend a lot. More than a complete rebuild
perhaps. Maybe 150 a square foot.