willshak

On 1/6/2005 12:55 AM US(ET), jay took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

I suspect this is the way they were designed. I have a similar problem (60
second warm up time) on some energy saver flourescent floodlights I got at
Home Depot and those take up to a minute to achieve full brightness even
though the non-floodlight energy saver bulbs from Home Depot turn on
instantly at virtually full brightness. It is annoying how the floodlights
start out so darned dim and then require a minute of warm up time before
they're at a full level of brighness. It is even more annoying when the
package says "quick start technology" on it (if this is quick, then I'd hate
to find out what slow is)

Last month, I bought some GE compact fluorescent bulbs from Sam's Club.
It was a packet of 6 - 13 watt, equivalent to 60 watt 'Soft White'
incandescent bulbs. Sam's sold the packet of 6 GEs for the same price as
a packet of 3 Philips comparable bulbs in Lowe's or HD. When switched
on, the bulb takes less than a second to light, and it is then about 80%
of its full brightness. Within 10 seconds, it is at full brightness. I
was so satisfied with them that I bought another pack of 6. I am
replacing all incandescents as they burn out, or for those that I leave
on for extended periods of time. The only lamps that cannot use them are
the type that have the bulb clamps to support the lamp shade.

I bought 5 60 watt flourescent lights that emit about 11 watts from Ikea.
purchased the decorative ones.

Inside the circular case you can see 3 "loops". It appears that 2 of them
turn on instantly, and the other one can take up to a minute to turn on.
Therefore, it takes about a minute for the room to completely light. It
occurs on all 5 lights. I bought 3 packages of 2, for a total of 6.

I have other non-decorate flourescent lights in my hosue I got from Home
Depot that are low wattage that light up instantly.

Is this normal? It's bearable, yet annoying. I'd rather not return them
unless I know if I buy another brand it will be better.

--
Bill