George E. Cawthon

SJP wrote:
Thanks again... I'm going to call first thing tomorrow. Would you
recommend Home Depot installation services? Or should I just pick a plumber
out of the book?

Home Depot installs these GE Smar****er heaters...

"Bubba" wrote in message

I dont know. Why? :-)
How long? Varies widely. I had one in my own home that lasted 7 yrs.
Some last 10. Others over 12 and 15. Others Ive seen are making 25 yrs
but that is very rare. Many condo's send out letters after 8 yrs
requesting that the owners replace their working water heater to avoid
it from bursting and causing a mess.
Bottom line is, at 15 yrs, youve used all of its life. Do yourself a
favor and replace it now, while you can do it at a convienent schedule
for you instead of Sat night or some holiday when you get the overtime
charge. Make sure you have your water pressure checked at the same
time. If it is too high, get a pressure regulator installed on your
incoming water line to your home. You'll want to have it adjusted to
somewhere between 50 to 75psi. Part of that is your own preference in
how much and how hard you want the water to hit you in the shower. It
saves water and extends the life of your "water appliances". You'll
also want to have an expansion tank installed on your water heater.
Now, you're all set.
Bubba

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:32:51 -0500, "SJP" wrote:

Well, if I had a clue, why would I be asking in USENET?

Is 15 years about how long these things last? I was hoping there was some
'corrosion buildup' or something simple that I could correct...

I will call a plumber first thing tomorrow, thanks...

"Bubba" wrote in message

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:11:46 -0500, "SJP" wrote:

Hi, lately it seems as though there's barely enough hot water to take a
shower. I went downstairs to observe the hot water heater...

-There's no sign that the water heater has 'blown up' like seems to
happen
whenever my dad's water heater expires
-The heater has the date 1990 on it, which I presume to be it's
installation
date.
-The heater is natural gas. I didn't notice any smell...
-The heater was warm to the touch
-It hasn't been very cold here lately.

Do these things just fade away? Or do they always go out with a bang?
How
do I assess the situation?

Thanks
Steve

Open the yellow pages and pick up your phone with your other hand. You
obviously dont have a clue, your water heater is 15 yrs old and you
dont need to hurt yourself or anyone else.
Call A Plumber,...........NOW!
Bubba

Why don't you ask neighbors or friends who they use? The
best bet is to call several places and tell them to give you
a bid. But be sure you they all compare installation of the
same size and quality of heater. I would bypass the Smart
Water heater and get the cheaper (I think the Smart system
costs $60 bucks more). Anyway, you probably have a 40 or 50
gallon heater so tell all the bidders which one you want and
then tell them what efficiency. I wouldn't buy a water
heater that doesn't have a pilot light (because the higher
efficiency ones can be noisy and the pilot really costs very
little in operation)(Also, if you have the electricity go
out DO NOT get the higher efficiency heater which requires
electricity to fire.

If you don't really understand the above, or are a little
confused, go to HD and talk to a salesman about different
water heaters and cost (BUT, do not buy at that time, still
get bids).

On guarantees, the longer guaranteed heaters will cost more,
but they may not be made any differently (or significantly
differently), so the extra cost is just for the guarantee.