Colbyt

wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 13:32:02 -0700, "SQLit"
wrote:

"William Deans" wrote in message
news:1104952543.3a4494f94d81e6df76883bae38f1fea8@ teranews...
Greetings,

What are the requirements for protecting NM 12 AWG wire in an attic run
along the ceiling? The attic has a walk-up stairwell, finished floor

and
walls, but exposed rafters. The rafters start at about 4 feet high.

What are the requirements for outlets? How high? GFCI?

I have looked in the NEC but I do not want to misinterpret anything so

am
hoping to get some clarification in this case. I understand that in the

end
I must do whatever the local code office wants but first I wanted to
understand what the NEC actually calls for.

Thank you for your time and energy,

William

All wiring subject to physical damage has to be protected. If you have
children up there then protect the wire. If the area is subject to only
authorized (intelligent) people then no protection is needed. Sorry to

be
such a kill joy.

Outlets/lighting are required for equipment only. If you converting his
into an game room or bedroom then you have to follow the those rules.
Basically a outlet within 3 feet of a door and within 12 feet of each

other

Please help me here, I'm still learning, so can you tell me where it
states inside 3' of a door?

The poster may have been referring to a switch box.

Also I think current code requires wall outlets every 6 foot of wall not the
12 as mentioned. Of course this only applies to living areas. This local
code here and NEC is pretty closely followed here.

Colbyt