AJ

tomcas wrote:
AJ wrote:

I have a piece of rough round aluminum stock that I want to insert
into the 3 jaw chuck. The stock is kind of rough, do I insert it all
the way into the chuck until it firmly touches the end? It spins kind
of wobbly.
What can I do to correct it?

any help would be appreciated!

-Anthony

Shim it, indicated it, or center drill the end and support it with the
tailstock center. What is the diameter and length. If it is not to long
I would probably indicate it true by tightening and tapping a little at
a time, then lightly face the tail stock end, skim cut the OD for at
least the jaw depth, then reverse it and grab on the skim cut diameter
with the cut face bottoming on the chuck end. This will give you a much
tighter chucking.

thanks!