jay

Default Maytag dishwasher leaking from front door

I have a Maytag dishwasher, model# DWU7400BAX. It is around 8 or 9 years
old. It is dripping water from the door. The drip appears to be coming
from inside the door, around 5 5/8" from the right side. The drip does not
start happening until the unit has been running a while, when the washer
knob gets toward the heating delay asterisk (just beyond 6 O'clock
position). Not sure if it starts happening exactly when it reaches the
asterisk, just that this is the general location it starts happening. I
began the wash at the Normal position.

The location of the drip seems to be 1/2" to the right of where the latch
for the detergent cups is located. My theory is that the small square
gasket around the latch is letting water get inside the door, and that is
why it is taking a while for the water to soak up the insulation on the
inside of the door, and then make its' way to the bottom of the door and
then leaking out the bottom of the door. The rinse aid cap is also near
this location, but I suspect the gasket more than the rinse aid cap, based
on my own opinion from examining these two items. Do you think I'm correct
in diagnosing the detergent cup door latch gasket as the cause of the leak,
or could it be something else like the black rubber gasket around the door,
or the rinse aid cap?

Assuming that the gasket around the latch for the detergent caps is indeed
the cause, then the next question is can I replace this small gasket myself,
or do I need to have a professional do this? I notice that they sell a
latch/gasket kit online for only $2.50. Does replacing this gasket involve
removing the white plastic panel on the INSIDE of the door? This panel
appears to have special bolts which seem to require a special "star shaped
six point wrench" rather than a standard Allen hex wrench. If getting to
the gasket involves removing the white plastic panel on the INSIDE of the
door, then where can I buy this special wrench, and would it be easy for me
to do this job myself? Is there another way to replace this gasket, such
as, by removing the OUTSIDE panel of the door, and if so, then how do I do
that?

Any potential snags I need to know about...such as would I need a special
glue or tools to install the new gasket, etc, or is it likely I could cause
other leaks by doing this repair myself?

This may be grasping at straws, but is there some type of caulk I could use,
or anything else I could use, that could potentially fix the problem WITHOUT
having to take the door apart?

If you think this fix is NOT a do-it-yourself job, then do you think it
would be worth spending $100 or more for a repair, or should I simply use
the money toward a new dishwasher? What is the typical life of this
dishwasher, and how much does an equivalent model cost these days?

Thanks for your advice.

Jay