MP Toolman

Hi,
My Dad made a set of tractor tire chains of the style suggested by Jack in the
attached response. The rings were about 3/4 inch diameter rod if I remember
correctly. Weld some small posts on the rings and surface with hard facing
rod. The set Dad made will pull like crazy and seem to last forever.

Mill

Has anyone here made there own tire chains for a tractor. I was about to

buy
some but at $1100.00 a pair (studded type for ice) they seem very

expensive.
I can get 3/8" for $1.69 per foot. 200+ feet of chain, a big set of bolt
cutters, my Mig welder and some time should make a decent set. Anyone have
an opinion on this idea? Above prices are Canadian.

If you make your own you may want to look at the design used for most
skidder chains, these have a ring centered on the tread and are connected to
the side chains by four cross chains, I have not driven any thing using
these (no opportunity) but the design looks like a good idea.

Jack