habbi

How does grade 30 chain compare to boron steel chain in terms of wear. Would
it make much difference when used on ice and snow. Would the ice actually
wear the grade 30 chain?
"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"habbi" wrote:

Has anyone here made there own tire chains for a tractor. I was about to

buy
some but at $1100.00 a pair (studded type for ice) they seem very

expensive.
I can get 3/8" for $1.69 per foot. 200+ feet of chain, a big set of

bolt
cutters, my Mig welder and some time should make a decent set. Anyone

have
an opinion on this idea? Above prices are Canadian.

I looked at doing so. Haven't gone one way or the other, but note that a
_good_ set of tractor chains will be made with boron steel, and may have
studding or wear bars - all of which is not likely to be on your
homemade set. You save money, but they wear out faster, and don't work
as well as a good set. Cheap-ass commercial cains may be no better, or
worse, than your homemade ones.