Ecnerwal

In article ,
"habbi" wrote:

Has anyone here made there own tire chains for a tractor. I was about to buy
some but at $1100.00 a pair (studded type for ice) they seem very expensive.
I can get 3/8" for $1.69 per foot. 200+ feet of chain, a big set of bolt
cutters, my Mig welder and some time should make a decent set. Anyone have
an opinion on this idea? Above prices are Canadian.

I looked at doing so. Haven't gone one way or the other, but note that a
_good_ set of tractor chains will be made with boron steel, and may have
studding or wear bars - all of which is not likely to be on your
homemade set. You save money, but they wear out faster, and don't work
as well as a good set. Cheap-ass commercial cains may be no better, or
worse, than your homemade ones.