Dave Hinz

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:08:36 GMT, wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:30:25 -0500, "Pat Ford" wrote:

I asked the intellectual property guy here at work ( we have a guy who does
only IP stuff) if I'm allowed to have mp3s, he said if you have the
cd/vinyl/tape a back copy is legal, I don't have to make it, as long as only
1 copy is ever used at the same time.

Copyright law is entirely a creature of statute, so it varies from
country to country. Canada's position on copyright is generally a lot
saner than here in the US -- in part because you don't have big,
greedy record and movie companies lobbying the legislature for idiot
laws to protect their 'intellectual property'.

Are you claiming that his use of mp3s of media he owns is somehow
against the law in the US? Can you back that up with anything at
all aside from insults of the people who do in fact deserve insults,
but maybe not for this particular case?