Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
I have one side of the room (3m approx) for a 'bench'. I'm not after a
heavy workbench here, but somewhere to use the PCs, work on PCs and
other electronics, and generally fix things. It should incorporate
storage.

The question is...what to use for a bench. I don't want anything
elaborate, so I was thinking of something like some kitchen units and a
piece of worktop.

I've got my workshop in a first floor bedroom. There's no point in making
an ultra strong bench since I'd not risk heavy hammering etc with a
suspended floor and ceiling underneath.

I made mine out of 2x2 PAR with the legs at 2ft spacing, and a perimeter
frame at the top, and at about a foot off floor level for shelves, with
all the joints simple half overlap types, glued and screwed. There are
also horizontal strengtheners front to back alongside each leg at the top
and shelf height. The shelf area is made out of flooring tongue and
groove, with a sort of pelmet across the front to keep things in. It's
screwed to the wall, and covers 1.5 walls, including a cut out for the
rad. The top is 1" blockboard covered in strong lino, and has a hardwood
edge, flush with the perimeter frame. I have a wood vice at one end, and a
metalwork one at the other - with extra horizontal supports there. Later
additions are a pillar drill, grinder, and compound angle saw. These are
all bolted in place so may be removed when handling large sheets of
whatever.

The beauty of making one is that you can tailor the height to suit
yourself. I'm 6ft, and standard kitchen worktops are too low.

It cost not a lot - I used re-claimed blockboard as it was to be covered.

And its just fooking perfect for my needs. Wish I could say the same about
everything I've made. ;-)

Everything in the workshop is designed for easy removal in case I ever
needed to move, or have it as a bedroom again. So all worktop sockets etc
are surface mounted and the wiring in surface conduit, so after a bit of
filler and a tosh of paint you'd not know anything had been there.

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.