Michael McNeil

Default Lathe and Plaster

"John" wrote in message

I'm looking at replacing some plaster in the cupboard under the stairs
in my house. The house was built in the 1930's and from my initial
investigations by looking at some of the plaster that is already
falling off - I can see wooden strip running vertical - are these part
of the lathes 'cos I thought they ran horizontal? Also the plaster
has what looks like thin hairs in it - is this normal for '30s
plastering?

I'm hoping to remove all the plaster and attach a piece of
plasterboard or some MDF to replace it then paint it. It's all hidden
so it's not too much hassle just wanted a bid of advice.

Don't let the "Grammarians" put you off posting here. Lath and plaster
predated Johnson's dictionary thus was subject to a variety of spellings
for a long while.

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame31.html

Cut one (or two -for ease) pieces of thin plasterboard (3/8th inch
stuff) and fix with a thick mix of finishing plaster (add some PVA to
stop it cracking off.) You can then use the rest of the bag for
plastering it.

You might want to mark where the upright strips or "studs" are and screw
or nail the boards to them. It's not necessary though. The whole point
of doing it yourself is to have some fun as much as getting the job done
cheaply.