patrick j

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 17:56:03 +0000, Steven Briggs wrote
(in message ):

In message , patrick j
writes
So it looks like MK believe that soldered cable ends are a bad thing and of
course I did not put solder on the cable ends.

I am sure MK are quite right in their advice but I would be grateful if
someone would explain to me why soldered cable ends are a bad thing.

Yes MK are correct. As others say, the solder is soft and creeps over
time leaving a loose joint.
If you've been in the habit of soldering your wires, then I suggest you
go round every item in your house and redo the plugs etc without
applying solder. I suspect you'll find several loose ones if you do
this!

Thank you and for all the other replies to my query. Fortunately I have done
hardly any plugs or any electrical work in the house I now own so it is good
that I now know putting solder on cable ends is a bad idea

From here on in I will strip slightly more insulation, twist and double back
the conductor.

--
Patrick