Jim Alexander

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 13:21:27 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

Several things here.

1) There are to be some exemptions which will basically operate if
replacement of an existing conventional boiler with a condensing one
will be too disruptive. This will be cases related to flue
arrangements, condensate drain etc., and a points scoring system is
used. Thus if you have a backboiler with conventional flue in the
middle of the house, then you may score sufficient points not to need
to replace with a condensing model. However, if it's a wall mount in
the kitchen, you would be pretty unlikely to meet exemption criteria.

Guess we have both read the rules but for the education of anyone who hasn't
my gripe is that although the guidance claims to avoid situations which are
"too costly" the cost is NOT taken into account, only theoretical
disruption. Not only that but the acceptability of the lowest cost assessed
position to the householder and existing furniture and fittings are totally
ignored in the assessment. Not a gripe about the installer but he will get
his money. Absolutely a stealth tax on the hard-up. An election looms does
it not?

2) There are some typical curves for condensing boilers on the Keston
web site.

Thanks for the Keston link. Seems to me that the main efficency advantages
acrue from the larger heat exchanger.

3) It doesn't matter if you have an existing radiator design for the
more typical 82/70 boiler arrangement. When the weather is really
cold, the boiler will wind up to these temperatures. When it's
warmer, less heat will be needed and it will modulate down and try to
operate at as low a temperature as possible.

How exactly does it do that? Maybe I have got this wrong but I thought the
modulation worked by reducing the gas rate to control the flow temperature
to its setting. I would have to manually adjust the temperature according
to the weather to achieve lower flow temperatures?

So for much of the year,
you would still be operating in the more efficient range below the dew
point. Obviously if you take the situation over the whole year it
won't be *as* good, but still worthwhile.

OK, I've turned the temperature down, doesn't the water heating take an age
now and give me legionnaires disease?

Not if its a condensing combi but I'm not going there.

Jim A