Bob Eager

Default Bench for light workshop?

Having nearly completed work on the house to SWMBO's satisfaction (yes,
yes, I know it'll never actually be finished, but she doesn't)....

I have been allocated a room as 'mine'...about 4m by 3m. I intend to use
this for various things, some of which are already happening but only in
an ad hoc fashion.

The room will usually have 2 or 3 PCs in it, running to a KVM and
monitor/keyboard/etc. plus one of the house printers. It is also used to
store light tools (PC/electronics etc.) and stocks of paper/toner, plus
boxes of components. These are in high metal shelving.

I have one side of the room (3m approx) for a 'bench'. I'm not after a
heavy workbench here, but somewhere to use the PCs, work on PCs and
other electronics, and generally fix things. It should incorporate
storage.

The question is...what to use for a bench. I don't want anything
elaborate, so I was thinking of something like some kitchen units and a
piece of worktop. I need to be able to get cables 'up the back' which
might complicate it. There is also a radiator running the length of this
wall, unfortunately.

I really have to use this wall, because of the other 3:

* One has a chimney breast in the middle of it.
* One has the door in it, and the cupboard with the mains
isolator/meter/consumer units - not movable.
* One is a bay window.

So, any ideas and actual experiences appreciated....!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!