Chris

Lobster wrote:
Chris wrote:

www.nebula-electronics.com

Obviously it is not for everyone, and you need a fast pc, but it does
work very well. This particular card also lets you view television
across a network, so I have the card in one pc and can watch TV on any
other pc connected to the network.

I've got one of these, but have never managed to get it to work across
the network on another PC. Any tips??!!

Am also a bit worried that doing so, and permitting the required access
to the PCs, might leave my network vulnerable to attack from the outside
(mentioned by the manufacturer) - do you know if that's an issue? My net
access is via a router, and am running Windoze firewalla.

David

It did take me a bit of playing around. Once you have set the IP address
of the client (on the server machine, I haven't tried multicast) and
then started the client software on the remote machine, how far did it get?

One thing I found was that the pc's firewalls were getting in the way
(Zonealarm on both and Nvidia on one). It doesn't appear to be a 'true'
client/server configuration, in that the client seems to 'announce' its
presence and the server then connects to it, which I had to set some
rules in the firewall to allow.

One option would be to disconnect the internet side of your router so
that you can turn off the firewalls and play safely. Then when you have
everything working and the firewalls re-enabled, reconnect the internet
side.

AIUI, if you have NAT enabled on your router you should be safe
(relatively), but I am no expert (they all live in
comp.security.firewalls and don't play nice with beginners)

To check, go to http://www.grc.com/default.htm and select 'Shields Up'.
Opinions differ about the validity of 'Stealth mode' but as long as all
your ports are listed as closed or stealth you should be safe (though no
guarantees)

You may also need to set your network cards for 'optimise for
throughput' rather than 'optimise for cpu'

HTH,

Chris