Ian Stirling

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:
All neon lights are unreliable, almost by design.

Well, if the neon was used as an indicator on a 240V supply then it
would be fine. The general theory behind using it as a test instrument
is the flaw with the neon screwdriver.

Neon lights seem to die after a few decades, which is annoying.

Possibly, but I'd hardly call that unreliable in light emitting device
terms. ;-)

Well, most seem to die after that long, a significant proportion (IME) die
after a year or two, or go flickery.
LEDs (not cheap white or blue ones) are much more reliable, I can't think
of one power indicator LED in any bit of equipment I own that has failed.

I can think of 6 neons that have failed, or gone intermittent in items 2-30
years old. (most under 10)

On reflection, this may not be that much of a problem on a screwdriver.

Dunno if they are susceptible to dropping? Don't trust neon screwdrivers
anyway - never have.

Not very, unless the electrodes get bent together, or the glass cracks.