The Natural Philosopher

Default Crap B&Q Mains Halogen Spots

rob wrote:

He gave one piece of advice which is worth noting, to buy a dimmer switch to
reduce the surge of electric when switching on the lights, this works.
New lights up 6 months, 1 bulb gone. better than before.

Mmm. Not one of any LVlights on soft start toroids ahs gone in two years.

I have lost all of the ones on electronic transformers after about 18-24
months. That may be because they were cheapos that came with the lights,
or it may be the less soft staring on those units. Tey ARE on dimers,
but my diners you just push them to come on...at full brightenss
sometimes :-)

Moral. LV are better, LV with soft start are even better than that, and
better lamps last longer.

rob