Stefek Zaba

Frank Erskine wrote:

UK lampshade mounting hole is: 1 1/8"

Euro lampshade mounting hole is: 40mm

Anyone aware of a commercially available adapter?

I'm pretty certain Ikea do them.

Although they might be a specific Ikea non-standard :-)

The Hell-Hole of Sweden (for we write in the time of the January Sales,
boys and girls) does indeed sell what it calls "lightshade adaptor
rings" for 40p a pop, if my aging memory serves.

That's 40p, plus travelling time to your nearest IKEA (mine: 4 miles;
one of our resident Dave's: 80m, IIRC); 20 minutes to fight your way
into the car park, 10 to fight your way to the lighting section, 30 quid
for the ever-so-cheap
cutlery-doormats-storage-bins-low-energy-bulbs-teapot-glasses and other
things you and anyone with you can't resist, 30 minutes queuing up to
pay, another half hour to fight your way out of the car park.

Unless, of course, you end up with as entertaining an IKEA experience as
one of mine earlier this autumn, which ends up with the fine boys of the
Avon And Somerset attending to restore order. Ahh, happy memories.

So, you'll find your local Ordinary Hardware Shop, or electrical trade
counter, will sell them. They may charge you, ooh, 1.50 for a
card-mounted set of 3 (the cheapie accessory brand Ring packages them
this way, i think). So if your sanity's worth anything to you, buy 'em
there, not at IKEA.

This has been a public service announcement from Citizens For A
Cod-Swedish-Name-Free January Sales Season.