Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Lurch writes:
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:54:48 -0000, "James"
strung together this:

One interesting question though. If you are a fully qualified electrician do
you still need to pay to £1000 (estimated total part p up sign up costs over
a year) to work on homes ?

Yes.

If so what is the incentive to sign up,

There isn't one, unless you really really want to be an electrician,
which I don't anymore so I'm not.

Yes, if you read the trade press, lots of electricians are now
dropping out of the industry, particularly if they were near
retirement age anyway. Apparently, almost none have signed up
for any of the Part P schemes. Expect a massive shortage of
electricians to undertake domestic work, even on the black
market. There was already a shortage before all this happened.

industrial work is far more lucrative

And, you still have to be registered for that don't you?

No. It is the responsibility of any company using your services
to be satisfied that you are competent. Some do this by requiring
NICEIC only (more fool them), others use other criteria. At a
former employer, after some poor work from NICEIC contractors,
the requirements were changed to require qualified electricians
only on-site (C&G certificates had to be presented on first
arriving on site by each person). That actually ruled out all the
NICEIC contractors we had been using, and most work was then done
by one-man-bands, from whom we got a much better quality of work.

--
Andrew Gabriel