John

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. ..

"Phillip Brown" wrote in message
"BigWallop" wrote in message
. ..
If you can't hear the flue fan running in the boiler, then I'd be

tempted
say it is that which is at fault, again. You say the new fan was a
re-conditioned one, but you didn't say what made the old fan go faulty.
You
may have fitted the new fan unit to a faulty boiler. What was the
symptoms
of the old fan unit failing?

It was the original fan, so over a decade old, and was just groaning and
turning very slowly - basically 'old age'. Boiler had been serviced a

week
before that by British Gas.

Did you get any sort of guarantee with the
re-conditioned fan?

I'd have to check but I'm sure I do. It was from CET Ltd. who seem quite
good.

Did you test the circuit that supplies the fan from the
boiler?

Nope, that's the next step I guess. Can you confirm if I simply use a

neon
screwdriver on the red/brown cable that goes into the fan to check this?
Then if it is live but the fan is dead, then the fan is... well, dead I
assume. I'm quite clever, me.

Beware if the fan has three connections (high speed, low speed and neutral

The fan is a mains voltage appliance, so a good test to see if the fan is
working properly, is to fit a length of cable to it and plug it in to a
power outlet. If it don't work then, it's dead. This lets you rule out
the
fan completely and you can concentrate on the boiler supply side of
things.
Once you know that part, get back to us and we'll try to talk you through
other things to test for.

Once more for good luck - beware if it a two speed fan (see above)

Placing a mains tester screw driver on the connector terminals is not a
fair
test I'm afraid. You really need a test meter to make sure you are
getting
all the connections you need too, to make the fan and things work
properly.
The break in circuit may be on the negative side of the supply, which a
mains tester screw driver won't show.

Try "testing" at both sides of the connections. The Neutral should not light
the neon if present. If its not then you will get a light