BigWallop

"Vortex" wrote in message

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
Just bought a new (well 2nd hand!) house originally built on the 30s and
extended in the 80s and then again in the late 90s. We don't have an
outside TV aerial and I'm thinking of getting one installed. That has
set
me thinking about how to then distribute the signal though the house. It
used to be easy, bring the wire into the house, split the cable and away
you
go (bear in mind it's over 20 years since I last did this). Now, it
might
be nice to make it possible to view the output from a video machine
situated
with one TV on a different TV. With the emergence of PCs with TV (and
huge
discs to allow video recording etc) the possibility of networking such a
PC
with other PCs and also allowing another TV to view video from the PC hard
disc is another thing I'd like to allow for even if I don't have the kit
right now. And then, of course, there's the issue of controlling lights,
heating etc.

I probably need to do some background reading first if only to rein in
some
of my wilder thinking. I see there's a "Dummies" book on the subject;
any
good? Any other books? Any web sites I should peruse? A different
Usenet group?

The house is on the South Somerset/Mendip council border. Anyone happen
know an installer in the area?

Thank you for any pointers.

Cat 5/6 wiring should be all that's necessary going forwards (or perhaps no
wiring at all). Take a look at

http://tinyurl.com/6ujxq

..and read the datasheet.

David

The home automation websites are a good place to start. It has lots of ideas
and tricks to follow in making things work magically.

http://www.smarthome.com/

http://www.homeauto.com/

http://www.hometoys.com/

http://www.home-automation.org/

And for a few discussions on this type of subject, there's he

http://www.homeautomationforum.com/