Dave Liquorice

Default Replacing old Honeywell thermostat

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:06:19 -0000, Woody wrote:

The most your heating will take is about 2A - the boiler takes about
50W and the pump usually about 200W,

Depends on the system the OP doesn't say what the boiler is, mine
takes about 150W (oil pressure jet) I doubt my fathers takes more than
10W for the gas valve, (open flued, no fans etc). My pumps, normal
size for domestic properties have a maximum of 95W.

but as the pump is a wholly inductive load the contacts need to be
slightly higher rated to allow for minor arcing as the contacts
open.

This is true, kust ensure that the figure enclosed by brackets in the
rating is large enough. Most are "(3A)" which is about 700W so ample
for nearly every domestic CH system.

Your don't have to replace like for like. Modern 'stats are
electronic with a timer built in so that you can have different
temperatures at different times of the day. So long as it switches
as you require it will meet the need.

Going for a programable room stat is probably a very good idea rather
than just replace with a normal one. They are excellent devices and
really do improve the comfort of the house. A few pounds more but well
worth it. Many are now on the market but the cheaper ones tend to
loose features and/or temperature settings.

Personally I'd look for one that is 7 day programable (yes you may be
a 9-5 M-F wage slave now but will you always be?) with 6 temperature
settings/day and "optimum start". Optimum start is where the stat
looks at the current room temp and starts the system a variable amount
of time before (normally) the first set temperature such that that
temperature is met by the required time.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail