John Rumm

al wrote:

My worry with the stairs was that if it were too thick, it may be difficult
to get the carpet to "bend" tight into the corners. Come to think of it ...
how does it work on stairs anyway? I presume the underlay comes as far as
the gripper and stops? Does that mean you have 10 pieces of underlay up

You do.

your stairs that you hope stays in place while you cover it with a carpet?

I watched carefully last time I had some stairs carpeted. You have one
gripper on the back of the tread, and another at the base of the riser.
The underlay is cut into a section to cover the tread and then flop over
the front and down the riser to the next gripper. They then staple it in
place

With stair carpets I notice they also fix it in sections, with one
section only doing at most three steps. The joins being hidden in the
internal corner between tread and riser.

Also, would you go for a thicker one for the lounge or is 9mm pretty
standard for domestic use? Don't want to go overboard ....

Last time I got underlay (prior to this one) it was for (the old)
landing and stairs. So I bought a decent crumb rubber one so as to wear
well and also keep the foot fall noise down. The 9mm stuff I have just
gos looks to be similar or better, so I expect I would be quite happy
with that in most rooms.

(much of the underlay you get is of the "waffle" or "crumb rubber"
types, these are often specified in weight rather than thickness. Hence
it is not easy to compare size for size with the Cloud 9 stuff)

--
Cheers,

John.