John

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
JimGC wrote:
John Stumbles wrote:

If the Worcester Heatslave is the machine I'm thinking of it does indeed
have a CH + HW programmer, and it is a combi.

Now I've checked a little further, I'm sure it is. It's the
programmable deluxe model, circa 1982!

It's probably also well past its sell-by date.

Absolutely. If I owned this flat it would be replaced
tomorrow. As I don't, I'm not quite sure where I stand.
Should the owner replace or repair it?

Do you mean: should they do _something_ about it, or do you mean which?
I assume it's the landlord's appliance (it'll say so on the landlord's gas
safety certificate - which they _have_ given you a copy of, haven't
they?!) so it's up to them to sort it out (though that's a matter between
you and them and any tenancy agreement you have, as with any other
repairs). As such I wouldn't be getting any repairs done off my own bat,
though you may have to get a repairer in to testify that it's faulty to
have leverage to get your landlord to deal with it.

At £1000+ for the
replacement, I'm not sure they'll take kindly to that.. !
But I'm certainly not paying £1000 in a flat with a short
term arrangement such as I have right now ..

If they can get it repaired (i.e. parts available and appliance is safe to
use) then fair enough: once it's fixed it shouldn't be desperately
expensive for you to run even if it's a pilot light model (which I think
it is). However it's not going to last much longer so IMHO it would be a
bit short sighted of your landlord to patch it up rather than replace it.
But that's landlords for you :-)

See my other post on this unit. The more modern heatslaves suffer from
excessive numbers of plastic bits but generally are relatively simple if a
bit on the bulky side. I could see everything about this combi even at its
age being replaceable. In short unless the landlord is feeling particularly
flush its gonna be a fixit job. :-)