Abso

John Flax wrote:

"Abso" wrote in message
Arghh.. Just spent far too long struggling to fix a moulded
(polystyrene based) skirting to a plasterboard wall with this
useless stuff. For anyone unfamiliar with it, it's a solvent free
adhesive in the "No More Nails" mould.

Not impressed I'm afraid. It seems to be formulated way too thick.
After struggling to squeeze it out of the tube using a trigger
dispenser, I found that as the skirting was pressed against the wall
the fixative did no more than squidge a bit then allow the skirting
to peel away when the pressure was released. Lying prone in a
bizzarre position with hands, elbow, knees and 1 foot pressing the
skirting against the wall for 10 minutes rewarded me only with
backache and a skirting that still just peels away of its own
accord.

Has anyone else had similar problems with this stuff? Is it perhaps
just the Focus DIY own brand that's dire, maybe I need to try a
better brand?

Alternatively, how else can you fix this moulded skirt into
position? It's a natural wood finish (to match a laminate floor),
so nailing isn't an option as I won't be painting over.

These products are not 'solvent free.' The solvent is water, which
takes longer to dry by evaporation and/or absorption than an organic
solvent. The fact that the skirting is plastic, rather than wood
makes this process even slower.

It might be advisable to roughen the back of the skirting to help
adhesion and to remove any release agent that may have been applied
during the extrusion process.

It is vital to hold the objects together until the adhesive has dried
completely.

Thanks. I've had much more success with "No More Nails" since my
original post.